Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Wow! What An Appointment!

What a day we had yesterday!

About a month ago I took Jaxson to the doctor because I thought that he wasn't hearing me very well-or was choosing not to hear me! The doctor did a tympanogram on him, which checks the fluid level in your ears, and his test showed a solid line-the line is suppose to look like a hill, which meant that he had a bunch of fluid in his ears, which of course was why he couldn't hear me. So we were referred to an ENT for further testing. Well yesterday was our appointment with the ENT and I was totally not prepared for what happened!
She checked Jaxson's ears and there was no change, still fluid, so she gave me an allergy pill and an antiobotic to give him and he is scheduled to go back and have an audiogram in 4 weeks to see if there is any change. Then for the heck of it, I guess, she checked Nik's ears and his throat-why his throat I don't know, but I was glad she did (you'll see why)! She then started asking me questions like: "how do your boys sleep, do they snore, do they seem tired in the morning, how is their energy level during the day?" I thought, why in the heck is this lady asking me these questions, but as I confirmed all of her questions, she told me that Nik has adult tonsils. She said that Nik is probably not going through all of the stages of sleep at night and is tired during the day because of that.....she asked me how he did in Kindergarten and I told her he did great, but I do remember his teacher telling me that he would go into spaceland sometimes, and so she said, to start off First Grade well, we should consider getting his tonsils removed asap.............. So, he is scheduled this friday to have the surgery. Our appointment didn't end there though......then Makenzy had started getting a fever the day before and I thought that it was her teeth, because she is getting four more right now, and while we were there she was kind of fussy, so the doctor checked her ears too! Well as luck would have it, she has a double ear infection. So she was put on an antibiotic too!
We were finally sent on our way-with a ton of paperwork!............I am getting tired just thinking and typing about all that happened! I was so overwhelmed, I had to come home and have a mommy time out for a bit to gather my thoughts on everything that had gone on!

So, we told Nikolas that he was going to have his tonsils taken out, and he was totally ok with it....something I was not expecting. I was prepared for him to ask a bunch of questions and be really worried about it until THE DAY ( he totally doesn't get that from me!!!!!!!!), but he surprised me!!!! He is such an amazing child! We told him that he gets lots of jello, popsicles, and soy ice cream, and Eric told him that he can watch all of the Spongebob that he wants until he feels better, so I think he is excited!!!!! He probably thinks, "woo hoo, mommy is not going to limit my time on the television, this is great!!" The next thing we knew Jaxson was asking when he could get his tonsils taken out too! We told him that he could have popsicles and ice cream too!!!! And you better believe he will be watching Spongebob with Nik as well!!!!

And in just 1 day, Kenzy is totally back to her happy little self-hallelujah for antibiotics!!!!!!!

Please keep Nik in your prayers for his surgery! And wish Mommy and Daddy luck too! I think it is always harder on us then it is on them!!!

3 comments:

EvaMarieva said...

We will definitely keep Nikolas and the rest of the Earls in our prayers. Please let us know if you need anything-even if it is a simple as a helper for a bit. Take care and we love you!

Anonymous said...

My niece just had her tonsils out two weeks ago. She did really great. They take great care of the kids. I had mine out when I was 17 and it still wasn't too bad. I think he'll end up sleeping through a lot of spongebob though cause your body is tired and wants to heal.

Anonymous said...

Nate had mongo tonsils too. We had his taken out in 1st grade as well. Nik will sound different when he talks after they are out. But he will sleep so much better and when he is sick with throat stuff, he will be able to breath so much easier. We'll keep you guys in our prayers.